The Study Visa is issued to those who have been admitted by a Chinese college. This visa is divided into two categories: X1 and X2. The X1 category is issued to foreign students who come to China for study for more than 6 months. The X2 category is issued to those who come to China with the same purpose, but for a period of less than six months. The X2 visa is issued for single-entry only. An X1 visa can be issued for multiple-entry with a validity of up to five years.


Students are required to apply for an entry visa at the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in their home countries.

Documents to be presented for visa application:

  1. Valid ordinary passport.
  2. Admission letter.
  3. Visa Application for Study in China (Form JW201 or Form JW202).

Note: Be sure to get back the admission letter and Form JW201/ Form JW202 from the Embassy or Consulate. These are the required documents to apply for the Residence Permit after arriving in China.